If you are a long time reader of my blog, you would be aware that I used to do monthly goals. When I decided to completely overhaul my blog, I did away with them and I definitely think my ability to stick to goals has suffered since. Please do let me know if you would like to see them back again!
But as it is the month of making goals and resolutions, I thought it was the perfect time to talk through some of my goals for 2018. 2018 is a really big year for me, personally and academically and I have some pretty big goals to share with you. Some of these are also intertwined with moments I am looking forward to in 2018 too.
- Surround myself with more positive people and do not feel guilty about cutting ties with those who are toxic, negative or make me feel bad about myself. There are definitely a lot of people I surround myself with already that bring such positivity and inspiration in to my life and I always try to acknowledge them for how great they are – specifically, Katie who I help at the Hospice, Raff who is one of my closest friends and Nikki and Robyn who I have only grown closer and closer with recently and I love to pieces. However, I do have people who I know aren’t the best for me, especially my mental wellbeing, and it would do me some good to cut ties this year.
- I read 21 books this year, which surpassed my goal of 18(!), but I want to read even more in 2018. I want to set myself the goal of reading 25 books. I have a Good Reads page too if you want to check it out – linked here.
- Be vigilant when it comes to maintaining my oral health and hygiene and really care about my braces. I get clear braces fitted very soon and I am super excited to feel more confident (in around 16 months time…) but I know that the progress depends on my ability to be proactive and determined.
- I want to enter myself into the York 10k this year and raise money for a Marfan charity.
- Get another tattoo to remember my Auntie Tina who passed away when I was younger.
- Better my anxiety when flying as I have a pretty long flight coming up in April when Adam and I travel to America for the first time.
- To graduate. I guess that the big ol’ heffa of a goal. I mean, it is almost inevitable, obviously, but I’ve got to acknowledge that one! It is such a big step into the real world and I want to graduate and be proud of what I have achieved over the past three years in York.
- Really focus on my studies. I am literally in the home stretch now as I don’t personally have a summer term and I want to really succeed and prove my abilities. I finish on March 12th and I want it to be the best 2 months I can make it.
- As you’ve just seen, I have a lot on my plate academically so trying to fit in blogging is both important but also not my biggest priority. I had a big love-hate relationship with blogging at the end of 2017 and I want to improve that. I get comments, quite often, about people who enjoy my content and I find it a great space to be in but the amount of knocks I received from going self-hosted has made it a difficult journey. I want to be more focused and try to write at least once a week again. If not, more!
- Learn more about being self hosted and how I can make it work for me. I mean there are so many ways to benefit from being self hosted and so many reasons why people choose this route so I want to learn how to tailor it to myself so I can make the most of ellamaygarrett.com. My experience of going self hosted is linked here if you’re interested.
The Big Ol’ Life Goals
Finally, these are more of acknowledgment of the big life changes that I’m going to face in 2018!
- As I’ve already mentioned, graduate and be proud of what I have achieved.
- Get myself a job in Events, starting my career and enjoy my work as much as possible.
- Start renting in York with my best friend and boyfriend.
So, that is all I have for you! What are your resolutions for 2018?