The sadness of January has been lurking for a while now. The post-Christmas blues where there is no more festivity, no more wooooows as you pass houses decked in lights, and the most amazing roast dinners. Instead, shops make us feel guilty for those sneaky extra pounds we have gained and hidden under ugly Christmas jumpers by craftily moving their fitness stock to the front. We instead become aware of our bank balance that has suffered from Christmas present shopping and that oh so tempting January sales. You needed that jumper! And instead, pictures uploaded to Facebook remind us that we had 1 too many drinks on the New Year.
This is all so sad and gloomy (as funny as it is!) and so I thought I would write a little post about what is good about the New Year instead.
- Guaranteed you got a new hat, scarf, gloves, fleecy socks….(anything cosy basically) and the freezing cold January weather is a perfect place to show them off!
- It is sooooo much quieter in shops now. You no longer have to dread going in to H&M without standing in a queue of 30 people just to get some undies or bashing trolleys in TESCO while reaching for some frozen bags of party food. Also, as much as I love Christmas songs, it is kind of nice to see the back of them for a little while – as someone who works in retail I really mean this!
- No more travelling about to see relatives in a short amount of time. Trying to fit in people in the few days you have free, rushing about all over the country and attempting to fit 12 people around an 8 seater table is no longer a problem. You have time to rest, put up your feet a little and have some well-deserved me time.
- January is a clean slate. You can make some New Year’s resolutions and goals to ultimately forget about by February but heck you can have a good stab at them anyway!
- Dry January is something I fully support. I really don’t drink at all and it is nice to see others embrace it after a whole season dedicated to enjoying Baileys hot chocolate and mulled wine at midday.
- I recently discovered that January 21st is National Hug Day so what isn’t good about that!
- There are quite a few TV releases in January that sits well with the me time I just mentioned! Netflix has A Series of Unfortunate Events out in January as well as Swiss Army Man on Amazon Prime (Daniel Radcliffe is in it so obviously it gets a thumbs up from me!)
- In addition, there are also a lot of films out in January to check out! A Monster Calls has been frequently advertised on TV. Also, La La Land, Passengers (which came out in December, as well as Moana and Fantastic Beasts) and Assassin’s Creed are some of the big names out now.
- It’s also undeniable that everyone’s living rooms, staircase banisters and hallways are free from the Christmas decorations that seem to appear as festive clutter. Livings rooms appear to double in size without 6 foot Christmas trees, presents and Christmas decorations that have been pulled off by the cats and strewn across the house.
- Finally, there is always so much to look forward to for the New Year. Spring is coming up which means we can finally emerge from underneath our 3 feet thick coats and enjoy new fashion trends, people start thinking about summer and holidays, booking experience days you may have got for Christmas and….
…. maybe even looking forward to next Christmas? Maybe…
What is your favourite bit about January and the New Year?